Monday, February 25, 2013

Wishful Thinking

With less than a week before I run the Green Jewel 50k I've been checking the weather constantly to see what the forecasters are predicting for race day.  I suppose I should have known better than to sign up for an ultra in Cleveland in March but it's too late to back out now.  Weather, in Cleveland is always a concern, especially in early "spring."  Spring, I'm afraid, is some weeks away here. 

My hope when I forked over the $55 to get myself entered was a partly cloudy day with high temps around 40 degrees.  Not too bad for running and a reasonable expectation for March in Cleveland...or so I thought.
The actual forecast? (you're dying to know, no doubt):
Few Snow Showers
"Snow showers at times. Highs in the upper 20s and lows in the upper teens." Estimated  high of 27 degrees with NW winds at 12 mph.  (that's from weather.com)

Could be better.  Could also be much, much worse.  All I can say is...it will be fun.

Otherwise I feel decently prepared for the race.  Weather has been an issue for training too, somewhat, but I just finished a 42 mile training week capped with an 18 mile run at 8:05/mile pace that felt really good.  I'll call myself cautiously optimistic at this point.  I just need to manage my race well and not obsess too much over the weather.  Change the things you can, right?  And accept what you can't change.  It sure would be convenient to be able to change the weather sometimes though.

No comments:

Post a Comment