Sunday, November 23, 2014

YUTC 50k 2014

On Sept 13, 2014 I ran in the tenth annual YUTC 50k race in Youngstown's Mill Creek Park.  Since moving to Youngstown I have spent a lot of time on the trails in the park so it was fun to race on my home trails. 
It was the 10th annual running of the YUTC race and it was also my 10th ultramarathon.  Since 2011 I have run six 50k races, three 50 mile races and one 24hr run of 65 miles.  The only race I have done more than once is YUTC.  It's my home turf now so I really enjoy it.
My goal going into the race was to beat last year's time.  I did pretty well last year so I knew it was going to be a challenge.  I probably wasn't as ready as I could have or should have been, but I have a habit of running races that way.
Rather than a formal, detailed race report, this will be more of a brief summary with some pictures.
Here goes:
The race started and we all headed out on the familiar path, along the road, up the stairs then onto the trail.  After hitting the first aid station the packs seemed to separate quite a bit and I found myself basically alone.  It felt like a routine Saturday morning run on my usual trails.  It was kind of strange and unexpected but nice in a way.  My watch kept track of my pace for me and I stayed right where I needed to be.  I was just hoping I could keep it up through the second half of the race.
Coming down the hill to the covered bridge aid station after doing the Lake Newport loop.

Just crossing over the covered bridge, approaching the aid station.  We hit this aid station several times throughout the race so I have no idea if this picture is near the beginning, middle or end of the race.  Sorry it's blurry.  Many of these above pictures are courtesy of the race's facebook page.
So I felt pretty good for the first half of the race.  My split was 2:50 or so at the half-way point, so I was happy with that.  The second half of the race consisted of two loops around the northern lakes.  After the first one I started to feel a little nauseated but I knew there wasn't a lot of distance left to the race so I kept the same pace as best I could.  The covered bridge aid station came through for me again with Dr. Pepper (just like last year) and I drank a cup before losing it off the side of the trail about a quarter mile later.  Emptying my stomach did make me feel much better though, and I was glad for that.  It helped me keep my pace up and power into the finish line.  Jenny, Grace and Bethany were waiting for me at the end and Jenny was kind enough to snap a few pictures.
Here are a few pictures of me approaching the finish line




At the finish line.  You can see my super-fast time on the clock.
Last year my finish time was 5:48 so I was very happy do better this year.  My official finish time for 2014 was 5:42:59, good for 18th place.  I'll take it.
I love to see my girls cheering me on at the finish line.  Bethany loved my water bottle and wanted to taste whatever it was that I was drinking.
My nausea was only temporarily relieved on the trail and I was still feeling pretty queasy at the end but thankfully, no more throw-up.  I did have to take it easy for a while though.
Bethany tending to me

I was feeling a little less-than stellar after finishing so most of the food was "to-go," to be eaten after my stomach settled.

The scene at the start/finish area.  Yes, I'm still sitting there trying to get settled a little bit before heading home.
After running this race three times and putting in countless training miles on the trails in Mill Creek Park, YUTC has a special place in my heart and will for a long time.  I call them "my trails" now.  If you're ever in Youngstown in September you should really consider running it.  And if it's not September you can give me a call and we'll hit the trails together.  I promise you'll enjoy it.

Coming into the finish line.  I love this picture.  Thanks, Jenny for taking it and for always waiting for me at the finish line.  You're the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment