Wednesday, November 2, 2011

How is this good for you?

After running a marathon, a family friend saw me hobbling around church the next day.  According to my sources, the following conversation transpired:
     Friend: So, what happened to your husband?
     Wife: He ran a marathon and his toe nails turned purple so his brother (who is a doctor) pulled them out.
     Friend: How far is that?
     Wife: 26.2 miles
     3rd Person: That would do it!
     Friend: Actually, he would probably tell you it was his shoes that did it.
     Wife: Well...the shoes he usually wears caused (or contributed) to a stress fracture.
     Friend:  Wait.  He goes running--gets a stress fracture?  Then, he runs a marathon and his toe nails fall off?  How is this healthy?

OK.  So she makes a valid point.  Why do you run?  Because it's good for you.  If it's so good for you, why are you hurt?


Here is my answer.  If you have never felt the joy of flying down the face of mountain with the wind in your hair and a prayer in your heart that you don't take a nose dive, I wouldn't really expect you to understand. 

But this is why I run.

1.  It is somewhat cheaper and MUCH more effective than anti-depressants.  I've tried them both and I'll stick with what works.  While you may have to worry about the occasional toe nail falling off when you run, it's a lot easier to deal with than the side affects from other meds.


2.  Stress reduction.  Running is a great way to blow off stress, anguish, frustration or just excess energy.  While my studies are still inconclusive, preliminary data shows that running results in a much lower body count than going postal at work.


3.  Diet.  Once in a while, as I prepare for a race, I will carefully monitor my diet...but for the most part I am on the Eat-Whatever-The-Heck-I-Want-To Diet.  Anyone else up for chocolate cake for breakfast?
4.  Running is cheaper than a shrink.
5.  No one tries to tackle me or throw things at me while I run.  Occasionally a stupid dog will try to chase me, but that's part of the fun in having strong legs...see how far you can kick the SOB.
6.  And Finally, if God meant for me to ride around everywhere, I probably would have been born with wheels--not legs. 
Running is just my way of making the most of what God gave me and if you ask me, that seems pretty healthy.

For more reasons to run, check out this cool video on You Tube.

No comments:

Post a Comment