Sunday, May 6, 2012

Clark Kent and I...

Running at 7 miles an hour it will take approximately 2 hours to go 14 miles. Two hours is a long time to listen to nothing but the tapity tapity tapity tap of your feet as they strike the pavement over and over and over.  And one's brain, while listening to the tapity tap of feet vs. pavement for 2 hours, may come up with some interesting and unusal thoughts.

I thought about this blog while running on Saturday morning and Clark Kent.  This is how it went. 

I would like to think that Clark Kent and I have a lot in common. He leads the life of an average guy, but when the time is right, off come the glasses, on comes the cape and out flies Superman.
So in my mind, I like to think that like Clark, I lead the life of an average Joe. But when the time is right, off comes the suit and tie, on come the running shoes, and off I fly – down the road at a pace so blazing fast that runners and non runners alike are astounded at my abilities.
The truth of the matter, however, is this: Clark Kent and I both wear glasses and our similarities end there. I run on the weekends and squeeze in training runs after work when possible, but I have no super powers and my abilities are less than astonishing to both runners and non runners (because non runners honestly don't really care about the strange obsessions of insane fitness junkies).

There are relatively few people that read our Blog. To all of you who do, thank you. We appreciate it. I need to publicly recognize this fact because sometimes in my mind I confuse reality and fantasy. In my fantasies, I am a well known and admired runner, who, while not the fastest kid in town, is well respected and whose advice is much sought after. The truth is: I run – somewhat obsessively - and.that's it.  I feel I need to publicly express this is because I think I want to change the tone of the Blog (at least my contributions). Up until now, the postings have generally been about races and adventures and tend to glorify and dramatize the excitement, pain and such that comes from running – especially running races. Going forward, I think I want to take a much more personal and realistic approach to writing about running. I want to write more about training runs, aspirations, doubts, fears, issues and overcoming (and sometimes succumbing to) the trials of distance running.

I say all this because going forward I hope to write and post things about my personal running life that is (or may be) a big deal to me and a big accomplishment to me, but when compared to other runners is mediocre at best. I just want to be honest with myself and not over-dramatize these adventures, thinking they are more than what they really are, or underrate them – because regardless of how fast I am or am not – I am still working my tail off to do and be the best I can.
 And when it all comes down to it, isn't that what running is all about?

4 comments:

  1. Trial of miles, miles of trials.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While your previous posts have been vastly entertaining, I have a feeling your future posts will be both enlightening and inspiring, and I look forward to reading them. So...bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read the blog! And I think you have lots in common with superman :)

    ReplyDelete