Sunday, May 20, 2012

Is There Running in Heaven?

I was born to great parents who taught me right from wrong.  Because of this, I have always been somewhat cognizant of what God wants me to do.

As I was clicking off the miles this morning, shortly after hurdling a rattlesnake, I came up a ridge to a beautiful sunrise and felt almost as if I was running into the arms of God himself.

That brought up some deep philosophical questions that I would like to pose here.
I dedicate a lot of time to running.  It is a hobby and I enjoy it, and I think that I need it in my life right now for various reasons that are none of your gosh darn business, but thanks for asking.  Running, however, (especially ultra running) takes up a lot of time.  On an average week, I'll run anywhere from 25 - 40 miles, and that will increase as race day gets closer.  At my slow pace, it will take somewhere between, 8 - 12 hours a week - just running.  And not running to the store or to work, these are training runs.  I start and end in the same place and most of the time my only accomplishment is an elevated heart rate and stiff knees.

So as I ran into the sunrise this morning, I had to ask myself, "Is there running in Heaven?"  After all, if my ultimate goal in this life is to make it to Heaven, how does spending 12 + hours a week running help with that goal?

Heaven wouldn't really be Heaven if we had to deal with arthritic knees, bad hearts, and excessive cellulite now, would it?  So I figure that there is no need to run for the health of it in Heaven.

 I imagine that Heavenly Hosts have a better way to travel than planes, trains and most certainly automobiles.  So running to cover ground and get places in Heaven would be similar to Spock saying, "Never-mind the 'beaming' Scotty, I'll take the stairs."

Conclusion: There is no running in Heaven.

So why the Heaven do we do it?  Why devote 12 + hours a week to hobby that (hopefully) is null and void when you get to the afterlife (I think some people will be placed on a treadmill in Hell and forced to run 6 minute miles while listening to Karen Carpenter - no offense to her music, but would you want to run to it?)


Conclusion 2:  There are transferable skills that we learn while running that help us be better people and prepare us for life in Heaven.

For example, a runner develops patience and endurance.  This stamina come mile after mile, and help the runner cope with the task of burning the rubber off the bottom of his/her training shoes.

But patience and endurance also can employed in everyday life.  What relationship won't benefit from a little extra stamina?  You know what I mean.  Your in the bedroom...uh, arguing, and want to get in the last word.
How many dull and meaningless words, spoken in a fit of rage that cut so deep into the hearts of those we love, can be avoided with some simple endurance by keeping your mouth shut while the rage burns off the top your head into the void of all that is really and truly silly when it all come down.
So, Nike sales don't stand a chance in Heaven, but you won't regret running the tread off a few pair in this life.  And who knows, when you finally do actually run into the Arms of God, I bet there's a finishers medal like none other.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! You are a good writer and you sure know how to use pictures to make your point. I always say sunrises and sunsets are God's way of saying, "I love you," to whoever makes the time to truly "notice" them. I think you will be running in heaven and Jesus himself will be there right by you discussing the truths of eternity and how well you represented him in this life.

    ReplyDelete