Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Commitment

In response to my brother's post about signing up for Cactus Rose I have something to share.  Now, I will admit it was my timid voice on the other line that he referred to.  We signed up for a tough-mother 50 miler the day after I ran a less-than-stellar performance in a 50k race, so you can understand why I wasn't chomping at the bit to register.  But, I have since remembered a quote I found last year just before I signed up for my first ultra-marathon, the Mohican 50 mile race.  It's a good one, by W.H. Murray.  I found it in a document the race director for the Umstead 100 put on their website. (It's a great document, by the way.  Check it out HERE when you get a minute.)
“Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back-- Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one elementary truth that ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves too. All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one's favor all manner of unforeseen incidents and meetings and material assistance, which no man could have dreamed would have come his way. Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now."


Now that makes me feel a bit more confident in my commitment to the race.  There's a ton of work still to do, but I feel like if I put the time and training in that I need to, race day will fall into place and my bloody remains won't be left by the side of the trail.  And that makes me feel pretty good.

2 comments:

  1. Spoken like a true Super Hero. BTW - What costume do you want to wear for CR?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll just paint myself green and be the hulk.

    ReplyDelete